<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6681363?origin\x3dhttp://shifting-sands.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Oh hello.




03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004
05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004
06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004
07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004
08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004
09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004
10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004
11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004
12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005
01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005
02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005
03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005
04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005
05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005
06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005
07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005
08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005
09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005
10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005
11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005
12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006
01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006
02/01/2006 - 03/01/2006
03/01/2006 - 04/01/2006
04/01/2006 - 05/01/2006
05/01/2006 - 06/01/2006
06/01/2006 - 07/01/2006
07/01/2006 - 08/01/2006
08/01/2006 - 09/01/2006
09/01/2006 - 10/01/2006
10/01/2006 - 11/01/2006
11/01/2006 - 12/01/2006
12/01/2006 - 01/01/2007
01/01/2007 - 02/01/2007
02/01/2007 - 03/01/2007
03/01/2007 - 04/01/2007
05/01/2007 - 06/01/2007
06/01/2007 - 07/01/2007
07/01/2007 - 08/01/2007
08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007
09/01/2007 - 10/01/2007
10/01/2007 - 11/01/2007
11/01/2007 - 12/01/2007
01/01/2008 - 02/01/2008
02/01/2008 - 03/01/2008
04/01/2008 - 05/01/2008
05/01/2008 - 06/01/2008
06/01/2008 - 07/01/2008
07/01/2008 - 08/01/2008
08/01/2008 - 09/01/2008
09/01/2008 - 10/01/2008
10/01/2008 - 11/01/2008
11/01/2008 - 12/01/2008
12/01/2008 - 01/01/2009
01/01/2009 - 02/01/2009
02/01/2009 - 03/01/2009
03/01/2009 - 04/01/2009
04/01/2009 - 05/01/2009
05/01/2009 - 06/01/2009
06/01/2009 - 07/01/2009
09/01/2009 - 10/01/2009
10/01/2009 - 11/01/2009
11/01/2009 - 12/01/2009
12/01/2009 - 01/01/2010
01/01/2010 - 02/01/2010
02/01/2010 - 03/01/2010
03/01/2010 - 04/01/2010
09/01/2010 - 10/01/2010
10/01/2010 - 11/01/2010
08/01/2012 - 09/01/2012

Bituwin - template
Dementee - image

Words from Before It's Too Late by Goo Goo Dolls.

Hit counter code here

Tuesday, May 05, 2009
bomb from bio, past events and swine flu scares

I'm pretty psyched. I just came back from copenhagen (which was great in a chillax way) and my bio class just dropped an assignment on me cuz I missed an "important" class. Which no one informed us about. We were only supposed to do 2 exams. And I'm really very dead cuz I'm still super behind in my 500-600 pages worth of single-celled organisms readings. Now there's this assignment as well which my lecturer just dumped 7 extra chapters worth of readings in my email, totally killing my smu inbox.

Out of the 24 days I have left in Uppsala, I have 21 days to my 2nd exam (the 1st exam and assignment I can choose when to do before 18th may). Of which, 10 days or more, I'm out of the country. So effectively leaving me 11 days to do my 500-600 page readings and writing the assignment and squeezing in the exam while I'm at it. OMG. HOW!! I really have no mood to study, especially with the trips to Riga, Vilnius (and the Hill of the Crosses!) and Gotlands coming up. I just want to shop for nice spring clothes, read my books on a mat under the sun and cool weather, and whisk off to pretty places and explore away.

__________


I did have a fabulous time the past few days partying at Uppsala thanks to Valborg to celebrate Spring. That was followed by a fantabulous holiday off in Malmo and Copenhagen spent with great company.

In summary.. Took a train down to Malmo with Junyi and Xin Jie, and we were having pleasant time exploring the place. Malmo is rather pretty, though it was a bit small and all the shopping was closed for that day (phew!). So most of the evening we were there was spent taking loads of pictures!

Headed down to Copenhagen that night and I separated with them to stay with Lincoln, Sue Ling and Howe. Met up with Junyi and Xin Jie again for a lovely walk down to the Little Mermaid, this time in Spring! Too bad they had to leave so early in the afternoon. The rest of the time, I was hanging out with the dear Copenhagen people, terrorizing them to play Munchkins and checking out the famous Tivoli amusement park. Haha ok, that's the pictureless version of the story. Will do the pictured version if I feel like it.

__________


Now the situation is pretty sucky over at the Europe side too. Before heading down to Copenhagen, we just got the latest news flash that all the suspected swine flu cases in Denmark was cleared, so we proceeded with the trip. Then on the train to Denmark, my dad smsed and said there was one confirmed case there! ARGH. In Copenhagen airport somemore!! It was contained there, but I really hope that the person didn't spread it to anyone else then. It was rather worrying, and everytime someone coughs or sneezes, the self-denied pushed-out fear of swine flu just appears right in your face again. Hope that everyone over there, as well as those in the affected areas, will be safe.

I'm just grateful that people in Copenhagen are behaving sanely, and it felt like there was absolutely nothing happening at all. Unlike Singapore which really has nothing happening at all, in terms of swine flu cases, and is being absolutely kiasu "executing draconian measures", taking temperature, doing contact tracing and quarantining people. Not that it's really a bad thing too if it really can prevent the virus from spreading. It's just that it's more troublesome and stressful.

Now most of the exchange students have two big worries on their mind, other than the fear of contracting this stupid virus at this point - is it safe to:
  1. travel after exchange? would we need to change all our travelling plans and forfeit all the tickets/accommodation? should we go straight back home instead?

  2. transit at whichever airport we need to transit before going back to Singapore? or stay put at where we are till the affected transit areas become safer?

That being said, the remaining exchange students don't really care since it seems like it's no that easy to contract the virus (as long as you're not in the human-to-human strain area) and it's even harder to die. So.. let's hope that's the case.

__________


you're doing your own thing instead of following the crowd because
you seek acceptance,
and following the crowd gives you that acceptance.

then you realize that the crowd looks down on people following the crowd
because they look down on those seeking acceptance,

so you stop and do your own thing
so that you get acceptance from the crowd by not seeking acceptance.


isn't the whole thing ironic?